This is a classic week night meal at our house. It’s fast, filling, nutritious and downright delicious. I always serve this over a scoop of warm brown rice.
Tofu Broccoli Stir-fry with Almond Chili Sauce
Write a review
- 1 16 oz bag of frozen broccoli, I prefer the organic broccoli at Costco
- 1/2 of a red onion, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 block organic sprouted extra firm tofu, I prefer O Organics brand found at Safeway
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Coconut non-stick spray oil
- 1/3 cup almond butter or peanut butter - I buy both at my local natural foods market in the bulk section. Look for the dispenser where you get to grind your nuts into butter right there. Your favorite nut butter is perfectly fine.
- 2 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar - Still on the fence in regards to my favorite brand
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Optional Garnishes (I only add these if I have them on hand)
- Green onions
- Sriracha or Gochujang
- Black sesame seeds
- Note: If you're going to make rice, throw that all in the rice cooker before you start the stir-fry. This is such a fast meal to make.
- Dump your bag of frozen broccoli into a microwave safe bowl, cover and mic for 5 minutes.
- Next heat your large frying pan or wok and coat with spray oil. Cut your tofu into bite sized chunks. Once you've finished cutting your tofu, the pan should be hot. Add the tofu, a pinch of salt and pepper. The tofu needs to brown a bit, toss every 3 - 5 minutes.
- Chop your onion and garlic and set aside. I personally like to use this garlic press.
- Combine all sauce ingredients. I mix them all in a 2 cup glass measuring cup. I start by measuring the nut butter in the cup, then adding everything BUT the water. I mix with a small whisk until blended and then I add the water. Mix slowly or things will get messy. Once the sauce is blended, set aside.
- Once the tofu is a little browned, scoop it into a bowl and set aside. Respray your pan and add the onion and garlic. Lightly sauté. Once tender, spoon the broccoli into onions and garlic. Gently toss everything together. This is where you have to be fast. It takes a matter of seconds for broccoli to go from tender to mush. Make sure the broccoli is hot. Add the tofu and pour over the sauce. Gently toss everything together. Remove from heat.
- Grab a couple of large bowls, spoon some rice into the bottom and then place the stir-fry on top. I garnish with whatever I have on hand. Black sesame needs and the hot sauces are staples in my pantry. Don't sweat it if you don't have the garnishes. I've eaten this many times without anything fancy on top.
- That is it. This takes me 20 minutes to make because I've been doing it so long.
haus of lov https://www.hausoflov.com/