I’ve been craving warm fall foods recently. Even though it’s hot as Hades here in the islands, I still like to pretend we have sweater weather by cranking up the A/C and making soups, stews and pumpkin bread til my heart’s content.
This is probably the easiest soup you will ever make. One of the most delicious I’ve ever made. I had a couple of extra cooked sweet potatoes in my ‘fridge which made this super easy. If you haven’t read my sweet potato hack post, you can learn how to Crockpot sweet potatoes. It will change your life.
Sweet Potato Bisque
Write a review
- 2 large sweet potatoes, precooked, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 Rapunzel Bouillon cube (The Rapunzel Vegetable Bouillon with Herbs is the only bouillon I will use)
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk (I prefer Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk. It's all natural with no preservatives.)
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the coconut oil, onion, ginger, a pinch of salt and pepper in a dutch oven* and turn the heat to medium. Cook the ginger and onion until the onions are translucent. Stir frequently as to avoid burning. Once the onions are translucent, add the sweet potatoes and mix. Add the bouillon cube. Use a potato masher and mash the sweet potatoes down. Now add the can of coconut milk and gently mix together with a spoon. You should have a chunky mixture. Add the water and gently stir to combine. Once everything is throughly mixed, set a timer for 15 minutes and let the soup simmer on low. Don't forget to stir! You don't want your bisque to stick. After the timer has gone off, pour the soup into a blender (or use an immersion blender if you have one) and blend until completely creamy. Pour the soup back into the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Add a dash of coconut milk and basil leaves to garnish each bowl. Or eat as is. I've done both. Regardless, it's delicious.
- *I prefer a ceramic coated cast iron because it heats evenly and you don't have to worry about the soup burning as quickly.
haus of lov https://www.hausoflov.com/