I love starting my day with a green smoothie. I feel like I’m winning bonus points for getting some greens in before noon.
I’ll let you in on a secret: I’ve actually sucked at making smoothies for ages. It wasn’t until I discovered Simple Green Smoothies that my smoothie game changed. I was always guilty of throwing every super food and piece of produce I had on hand in the blender. I wanted to pump as much nutrients into my system as possible. Which is fine. It just didn’t always taste that great.
This is the formula that I use now (Thank you Jadah and Jen!):
- 2 cups liquid (water, green tea, or coconut milk)
- 2 cups organic greens (baby kale or spinach)
- 1 banana
- 2 cups frozen organic fruit (I usually do half strawberry, half mango)
And as easy as it is to make smoothies, sometimes I hit the ground running and I forget to make myself breakfast. So I’ve learned to make big batches of smoothies. I’ll make 64 oz of smoothie, which translates to four 16 oz servings — perfect size for a meal.
I usually have a green smoothie every morning. My boyfriend does 50% of the time. So on average we’ll finish all 4 smoothies within 2 days. If I have a late day, this is my hangry snack to tide me over until I can make dinner.
It is best to make and consume your smoothies ASAP. However, as long as you store your smoothies in a sealed jar (These mason jars are my favorite.) and consume within 72 hours, they still taste yummy and you haven’t lost all the nutrients.
If you’re feeling fancy, add some cacao nibs and shredded coconut! Make sure the coconut doesn’t have added sugar.
What’s your favorite smoothie recipe?
- 4 cups baby kale
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2 bananas
- 2 cups frozen mango
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 tbsp maca powder
- Add kale and water to blender.
- Blend until smooth
- Next add mango, strawberries, bananas, chia seeds, coconut oil and maca powder.
- Blend again
- Pour into four 16 oz mason jars, cover and refrigerate up to two days.
- *Formula adapted from the Simple Green Smoothies Cookbook.