I’m excited to share one of my favorite recipes with you. If you’re nervous about eating tofu, give me a chance. I can probably change your mind.
I am a sucker for a good salad. I used to hate salads because I’d be hungry an hour after lunch. The secret is that you need to add need to add lots of protein and healthy fats to stay satisfied for a couple hours.
My go-to proteins include tofu, peas, black beans, garbanzo beans, edamame and salmon. My favorite healthy fats are avocado and extra virgin olive oil.
There’s a lot of love and hate for tofu out there. I’m part of the love campaign. If you’re apprehensive about trying tofu or aren’t really sure if you like it, these tofu nuggets are the way to go.
1 block of tofu made into nuggets will be enough to top four – five salads. I’ve also made these with sweet potato fries for my boyfriend and I. We totally dip them in ketchup like they’re chicken nuggets.
This recipe will take 10 minutes to prep and then it’s the waiting game (baking). These are great fresh or make in advance.
There is no flour or eggs in this recipe. It’s super simple to make with a little olive oil, nutritional yeast and Spike seasoning. To me Spike it the most versatile spice mix on the market. I sprinkle it on sandwiches, potato salad and more. You can find it at your local health food store on on Amazon.
Nutritional yeast is packed full of vitamin B and has a slightly nutty-cheesy flavor. If you haven’t used it before, it will soon become a staple in your pantry. It’s delicious sprinkled on popcorn and many other dishes.
- 1 block of extra firm tofu (I prefer the sprouted tofu)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp spike seasoning
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- spray coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 450*F.
- Cut the tofu into 1 in cubes.
- Grab two 1 gallon ziplock bags and put the olive oil into one and the spike and nutritional yeast into the other.
- Add the tofu cubes to the olive oil bag, zip closed and shake to coat tofu with oil.
- Next dump the tofu into the bag with the mix of nutritional yeast and spike. Shake to coat.
- Spray a baking sheet with spray oil and place tofu cubes on tray.
- Lightly spray the tops on the nuggets as well.
- When oven is preheated, place nuggets on middle rack. Cook for 12 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, flip the nuggets and cook for another 12.
- Nuggets should be golden brown.
- Serve with a side of ketchup or sweet chili sauce for dipping OR allow to cool and add to salads.